Six Things...
Friday, January 18, 2008

...you never knew you wanted to know about me.

Daisy tagged me for the Six Random Things Meme. Here goes!

The meme rules:
Link to the person that tagged you.
Post the rules on your blog.
Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
Tag at least three people at the end of your post and link to their blogs.
Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
Let the fun begin!


1) I am a reader. I have a car book for times when I'm stuck at the drive-thru, bank, etc.; a computer book, for those long load times, a book in the living room, for commercials, and 3 books on my nightstand (depending on what mood I'm in to read that night.)
So, I'm currently reading:
Sarah Orne Jewett's Country of the Pointed Firs and Collected Short Stories. SOJ is a master of characterization, and every writer would benefit from a few nights with her!
Foxfire 1, 2, and 3 I flip through these because they are just so interesting.
Catch-22 Still working on this, because it is my "car book" and since I'm a SAHM I never go anywhere. (Ha!)
Mass Confusion, because nothing says relaxation like the GIRM
8 Ways to Optimum Health, Andrew Weil
The Book of Matthew by, well, St. Matthew (this is my bible study)
America's Test Kitchen Cookbook. Yes. I read cookbooks for fun and information.


2) I like nicknames. My children all have nicknames that they will answer readily to, but that aren't actually their names. I call my husband Jo, but his name is not Joseph. Mr R's nickname is Trando. Short for Bertrando, of course, which is also not his name. Mr P's nickname is Ricky. His name is not Richard. We also call him Patch. Miss E answers to Mims. Mr S is called Spez. Miss V's nickname is Larry (well, actually it's Leri) Miss C we call "Kweh". Larry started that one! Baby X is most often called Big Boy and sometimes affectionately called Xavminster Fuller. That's a math joke. Yes, I do need to get out more.

I, myself, do not have any nicknames.

3) I cover my head in church, the only one in the entire congregation who does so. Perhaps that's why I got so touchy last week when our visiting priest was making fun of the nuns in habits during the "Liturgy of the Bulletin".

4) I have a secret life as an entertainment journalist. Okay, journalist is perhaps too strong a word. I get paid to write recaps of reality shows (yes, that means I have to watch those reality shows) and also sometimes provide coverage for aspiring screenwriters. My specialty is continuity, as well as basic copy editing. This means I read Scr(i)pt, Creative Screenwriting, Entertainment Weekly, and watch DVD's with the commentary on which drives my husband out of his mind. In fact, my first foray into blogging came from writing movie reviews for a publicity company.

It also means that not only is husband dear subjected to DVD commentary, he also gets an earful about the WGA strike quite frequently thiese days.

5) I got my husband at K-Mart.

6) A review of my entire life reveals that my best accomplishment so far is to create and enforce the Bathroom Rule. This rule states that whatever a child asks through the bathroom door, the answer is automatically no. In fact, I'm thinking of having it engraved on my headstone, to help the other mothers who may be wandering through the cemetery, desperately seeking five seconds' peace.

I'm going to tag some other South Carolina ladies!
Ouiz

Kitchen Madonna

Monica, who is on bedrest and needs diversions!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 1/18/2008 02:02:00 PM | Permalink | |