Moonsand Recipe
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Here is how I make moon sand. Knock yourselves out.

2 cups play sand (I got 50 lbs. from Lowe's for less than$5.)
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water

Mix sand and cornstarch together. Add water. You will have to work the water through with your hands. Makes just enough to fit in a leftover CoolWhip tub (ask me how I know!)

This is different from commercial Moonsand. You will have to add water before you use it again - about 2-3 Tbsp. Sprinkle over sand, and work it through.

I might tweak the recipe, adding some oil or glycerin to see if I can get it to stay "wet". If by some crazy chance I *actually* do that, I'll let you know!

It does stay wet enough and cling together to play with; it just doesn't stay wet long term.

Notice the impromptu sand table made from a box lid and outside location? I wasn't born yesterday! Applesauce containers make great sandcastle molds.

I also made the cooked sand playdough and was disappointed. The texture felt pretty much like salt dough. It also made less than I thought, so instead of Egypt, we just made the mountains of Upper Egypt and the pyramids. If you do make it, be aware that you must stir continuously.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 12/06/2007 08:31:00 AM | Permalink | |