Smarter Than A Preschooler, part 2
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Daja is our winner with 6 points, plus a bonus point! You win the accolades of your peers!

Here are the answers, because Enquiring Minds Want To Know...right?

1. Lettuce

2. Broccoli (They sell canned pumpkin- a squash - and believe it or not, I've seen canned zucchini. In the same store that also sold canned grapes. It was Cold War Bunker bonanza!)

3. Capers, olives

4. There are lots of these! Sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, soy sauce, yogurt, even sourdough would technically count! I've made sourdough, kimchi, and yogurt. Yogurt is such a no brainer to make, BTW, and super cheap because you can use milk powder. Try it and see!

5. There are many answers to this one... when we were dating, my husband made dinner for me once. Hot dog and rice casserole. Seasoned with rosemary. I married him anyway! My children would argue that the worst combo I've ever cooked are blacCorn varietiesk beans and rice - and I just keep making it, too! :} Also, I eat my peas with Miracle Whip- my mom says that's a Czech/Polish thing - but I love it, it's everyone else that thinks it's gross!

6.Devil's Food Cake is red(dish) because it is leavened with baking soda, and made with buttermilk. The acid in the buttermilk reacts with the baking soda, and makes the cocoa powder turn reddish. But Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines, being all modern and convenient, do use red food coloring now. (When Red Velvet Cake was first developed, it was colored with beet juice!)

7. Corn. If corn is not shucked, with the tough husk removed, it will not grow.

8. Everyone got this right! It's the secret to good gravy.

9. Water/wet method is right! Braising is cook slowly in water (like pot roast). Blanching is done usually to keep vegetables bright and pretty - a quick dip in boiling water, then an ice bath. Poaching is cooking over boiling water - like a poached egg.

10. I love Alton Brown's Good Eats. I absolutely despise Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 7/31/2007 09:51:00 AM | Permalink | |