What to Do on an Eeyore Day
Tuesday, March 06, 2007
I have a great book, called "Holiness for Housewives (and other working women)" from Dom Hubert Van Zeller. It's very slim, easy to read, yet profound.

When I was doing Flylady, I put some quotes and prayers on the cover page of my Control Journal. Now I do my own system of zones/tasks/works for me scheduling, so I think I need a new page. I don't like "Control" journal, maybe it'll be my "Homekeeping Helper"? I bought some pretty paper from the dollar store, which sells scrapbook supplies now, and I want to make some nifty dividers for my notebook. Someday. After I check my e-mail.

I thought I'd share it, since I was reading it today for encouragement after yesterdays really bad, no good, day. Oh, forgot to mention that the doctor's appointment came AFTER the kids' bus was late (which means they stand by the side of the road until it shows up, usually whining and/or snake hunting in the ditch the entire time), the other child missed his bus because it was early, Baby C decided to eat her brother's raisin bran with milk right after I dressed her in her last clean outfit to go to the doctor, and the batteries went out on the phone. Baby C went to the doctor's office in her Christmas dress.

Then, Mr. R had a meltdown in the afternoon. If you've never seen an 8 year old BP meltdown, suffice it to say, it ruined what was left of the day. I was a little surprised, because we've had no rages or major problems in months. However, he has been sick and the only medication he'll take must be chewable - no liquids or pills for him. So I've been giving him those fabulous Triaminic cough medicine strips, which I love so much I buy them even if I don't have a coupon! Now that's the highest product recommendation Mama gives!

Further scrutiny of the label reveals - you guessed it - Red Dye #40. Why they have to put red dye in a strip that melts in two seconds on your tongue, I don't know. But I think I might need to be prepared for a few more episodes until he kicks this cough. He's been coughing to the point of throwing up on more than one occasion - so I'll stick with the cough meds.

On a random product warning note, DO NOT give cold medicine to your babies under age 2.
Another random product rant: I really hate buying INFANT Tylenol and having the label say "Not for children under age 2". Isn't that the definition of an infant?

Anyway, this is my spiritual Paxil for days like that:
Prayer when in a Bad Mood
Lord, I am in a shocking state of mind. I fell as though I ought not be praying at all: I am too disgruntled for recollection and generosity and good resolutions and all those things that are necessary for Your service. But it is better to try to pray now than merely give in and indulge my poisonous humor. Lord, show me how to deal with myself when rebellion and bitterness well up in me and make life seem far more of a burden than it is. Show me the remedy that lies in submission to You and not in wallowing in self. Amen.
I also have one of my favorite quotes from him on that page:
The only thing that matters is doing the will of God. So if God wills that you should be bowed over the sink instead of over the pew in your favorite church, then washing the dishes is for you, now, the most perfect thing you can possibly do.
Some other quotes I have on my cover page:
The lay faithful must see their daily activities as an occasion to join themselves to God, fulfill His will, serve other people, and lead them to communion with God in Christ. - Pope John Paul II
God does not ask us to be perfect. He merely requires us to be faithful in our duties. - Mother Teresa

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. - Colossians 3:17
It gives me encouragement and perspective!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 3/06/2007 07:24:00 AM | Permalink | |