Bread Recipe and Soaking Grains
Monday, November 17, 2008
I have never sprouted my grain, but I do soak my grains (when I remember). We've always loved Blender Batter Waffles. Some readers of my last post asked for my recipe, so here it is!

I just started making soaked grain bread. It's pretty easy, but when you add the other ingredients and knead it it will be cold.

Whole Wheat Bread
6 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. water
a splash of whey or vinegar

Put in bowl, stir a bit, and let sit overnight on the counter.

The next morning, sprinkle 4 tsp. yeast over the dough. I use a mixer, and mix the yeast into the dough a little bit. Then add:
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. vital wheat gluten
2 Tablespoons milk
1/4 c. oil
2 tsp. salt.

Knead on low setting for 3-4 minutes, and on a higher setting for about 5 more minutes. Dough should be elastic and smooth, a little sticky but not gooey. Put in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size.

Punch down, divide in half, and put in greased loaf pans. Let rise in a warm place 30-60 minutes. Bake at 350 until browned (25-30 minutes, depending on your oven). If you thump the top of the bread, it should sound hollow when it is done.

Butter the top, and leave in the pan to cool for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto bread board or cooling rack. If you remove it from the pan immediately, the crust will be hard. If you let it cool completely in the pan, the crust will be very soft, almost soggy.

Whole Wheat Rolls
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. warm water
splash of whey or vinegar.

Mix and let soak overnight.

The next morning, mix in 3 tsp. yeast, then add:

2 T. soft butter
1 1/2 tsp. vital wheat gluten
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt

(Note: to make white rolls, use 3 c. bread flour and do not add gluten.)

Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Punch down and form into roll shape of your choice (I'm lazy, I just pinch off golfball size pieces). Put in greased pan, not quite touching each other. Let rise again 30-60 minutes. Bake at 350 until golden.

After my bread and rolls come out of the oven, I rub them with butter. I get a cold stick out of the fridge, peel back the wrapper a bit, and use like a glue stick on the hot bread.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 11/17/2008 05:26:00 PM | Permalink | |