Boycotting China: Thoughtful Thursday
Thursday, July 31, 2008


I've been pretty outspoken in my criticism of China. The following may shock you:

I buy items that are Made in China.

I have an extremely difficult time finding American made goods to begin with; finding something Made in the USA and affordable is an even greater challenge.

For many items, there seems to be no alternative. Children's shoes, for example. Plastic measuring spoons and cups. Christmas decorations.

When I have a choice, I consciously avoid Chinese made goods.

I choose Papermate pencils instead of the glittery and Pooh- spangled ones; Crayola instead of RoseArt.

It is a classic case of I Would If I Could, But I Can't. Does this make me a hypocrite?

I don't think so. I don't wantonly buy Chinese goods without a thought. I firmly believe that if one has the choice, they should not purchase Chinese goods.

I will not be watching the Olympics, for example. Shoes are a necessity, but synchronized swimming trials? Not so much.

I will still refuse to buy Chinese made goods that I feel are unsafe - things with little metallic charms, red and yellow painted wood.

It's easy to say why bother at all, get what you want. My little partial boycott will not change the Chinese One-Child policy; it won't make life better for any Asian villagers or secret Christians.

But, my choice when added to a million others might start to change the balance of trade between our nations. It might be able to influence products stores choose to carry, or convince an American company that there is a market for USA goods. We are all in this together.

My new policy? Every time I bring a product into my home that was Made in China, I will say a prayer for the workers who produced it, and for God's grace to guide the leadership of the country. And that, I am sure, will change the world.

Will you join me?

Labels:

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 7/31/2008 09:27:00 AM | Permalink | |