It's Tough to Be Two
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Miss C is giving me a run for my money. She is more accident prone than any of my other children - guess she takes after Mama!

Sunday we had a party to go to and I made a pasta salad. Husband dear wanted me to put olives in it. I opened the can of olives, then decided that they just wouldn't taste good in the recipe I was using. So, lazy cook that I am, I just put the whole can (opened) into the fridge.

Monday, Miss C decided to look for a snack. One glance at the open can of olives was all she needed - we all love them around here. She stuck her hand in to get one out and... you guessed it... sliced the dickens out of her finger. It doesn't help that in the ensuing screaming/blood flinging/olives rolling on the floor debacle I accidentally stepped on her foot.

Monday night, her finger was looking bad. I realized that the poor girl hasn't had any tetanus shots. I washed her finger out again (husband dear had to hold her down) and thought about taking her to the doctor on Tuesday. It looked a lot better in the morning, though.

Wednesday, Miss C was playing with Mr P in their room. He tried to pull her up on his bed - and suddenly Miss C is crying and screaming. She wouldn't move her arm. I called husband dear home and took her to the doctor - luckily, there is a walk-in Doctor's Care clinic here that stays open until 8 pm so I didn't have to give an arm and a leg at the ER.

The doctor diagnosed Nursemaid's Elbow and popped it back in. We got some X-rays just to make sure nothing else was wrong, but as soon as her elbow snapped back into place, little Miss C was back to her happy, giggly self.

Believe it or not, even though Miss C is our sixth child, I hadn't even heard of this. I've only had to take a kid to the ER three times (once when Mr R drank a bottle of cough syrup while I was giving a dose to his brother. That boy chugged the whole thing in less than 30 seconds! Once Mr R got Chlorox Cleanup in his eye. Once when Mr R tried to cut Mr P's finger off with a pair of scissors.)

Perhaps Miss C is my new Mr R - Heaven help me!

Mama Says:
Handy First Aid Tip: When I worked at an emergency room, we cleaned out minor wounds with baby shampoo. It gets it clean and doesn't sting! Get a little tub or basin, put some gauze pads in it, pour about a dime sized amount of baby shampoo, and fill tub with water (applesauce or pudding cups are about the right size). Wash out the wound using a new piece of gauze (no double dipping!). The first piece has the most soap, the last piece has less soap. Rinse with clean water.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 2/28/2008 09:23:00 AM | Permalink | |