Bad Recipe
Friday, November 16, 2007
OK. My oven is broken, but I have a freezer full of pork chops. I know you *can* cook them on the stovetop, I just never have.

So of course I check in with my old pal Google and find a blog with what promises to be healthy fried pork chop recipe. Since several other options I've looked at involve CUPS of melted shortening put on high heat, I click through.

Hmmm. The recipe starts with this:
Let me give you an easy and simple recipe of Fried Pork Chops today. This is very simple to make, very tasty, goes with anything from wine to beer to a chilled can of coke.
Ok. Obviously not written for my demographic, but I'm game. I've never actually planned a chilled coke friendly menu before, so what do I know? It might be good. It is, as I said before, advertised as healthy.

Ingredients:
Choose Pork Chops with lots of fat. 1 TSP each of Black Pepper powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder and Red Chilli Powder (Coarse if possible). About 15-16 cloves of ginger roughly crushed. 1 Medium onion roughly chopped. 2 Tomatoes, chopped.
Not sure what 15 cloves of crushed ginger looks like. I'm thinking maybe he means garlic?

Then he advocates cooking on the stove for a total of 45 minutes (could they possibly take that long?) Next step:
Now add all the masalas, salt to taste, and the curshed garlic. Add tomatoes. Saute for 10 more minutes in low heat, or till tomatoes disappear.
Oh, it was garlic, not ginger! But what is masalas? It's not in the ingredients list and I have no idea what it means. And how do two cut up tomatoes disappear? Another google search reveals masalas are an Indian spice blend, so I guess he means to add the spices.

The kicker is the final sentence, that accompanied this photo of the dish:

You may Garnish with Coriander or Cilantro. I didn't, in the photo, because it doesn't come out good in Picture.
Yeah. The cilantro would have totally ruined the picture, making it look like an unappetizing mess.

Suddenly, I appreciate good recipe site a whole lot more!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 11/16/2007 02:31:00 PM | Permalink | |