A Meme?
Thursday, August 30, 2007
I am notoriously bad at Memes. I read them, I do them, I write long posts with the best of intentions, but then my answers look so pathetic that I am too prideful graciously decide to spare y'all the details of my boring nerdiness.

Well... Heather actually made on up! About books! How can I say no to that?

Ten Books Every Kid Should Have
Or "If you were trapped on a deserted island for a year with your child, which ten kids' books would you want to have?"

1. A good children's Bible. Even if you don't believe, I think in order to be an educated individual you need to be familiar with the stories. If you do believe, you probably already have one in mind!

2. A book of Aesop's fables. See above.

3. A good book of fairy tales. Same as #1. We make references to turning into a pumpkin or asking which dwarf someone is, avoiding the poison apple, etc. We need these.


These were Heather's answers, and I totally agree! Cultural knowledge is important, especially when it leaks into language and idioms.

4. The Chronicles of Narnia, complete set. I spent hours with a friend playing "Narnia"; they are clothed in literary language and have a strong moral message.

5. 57 Saints for Children (or similar). I read this during many Masses and for fun, too! Stories of real heroes, bravery, and sacrifice, and real role models to look up to.

6. All-of-a-Kind Family series by Sydney Taylor(my bias is showing. I read girly children's books because...wait for it... I'm a girl!) It's about a Jewish family in New York at the turn of the century. Entertaining, decent, and informative!

7. The Great Brain series, by John D. Fitzgerald. Loved these too!

8. Beverly Cleary treasury. Love me some Ramona. Love me some Socks. And a mouse with a motorcycle? Classic.

9. Heather said a treasury of Dr. Suess. I agree there, too. There's a lot of wisdom (and phonics) in those catchy rhymes!

10.Sorry, Heather, a treasury of H.A. Rey is NOT making my list! That curious little monkey huffs ether, breaks into stores, steal cars, vans, and donuts... we get into enough trouble without adding a "How To" tutorial on wallpapering the bathroom with gift wrap. I'll say... hmm...if I was on a deserted island...I'd go with a children's encyclopedia set. Yes, they do still have book versions, cheap and easy at garage sales! Or at least the Children's Atlas of the World from Usborne.
Knowledge is power, and if you can look up how to make a solar generated helicopter out of coconuts, you'll be the king of that desert island!


Feel free to order any of these using my Amazon link on the sidebar. Someone ordered a belt through it once, and I was SOOO excited! Even though my 'cut' was like 8 cents or something.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 8/30/2007 08:55:00 AM | Permalink | |