Food Stamp Challenge Week 17
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
We ended up having some friends over on Saturday, and the car broke down so I made a quick run to the store and hope it holds out! Also, this meant that I had to do my shopping at the more expensive grocery that is right next to our house.

I spent $174.34
Average weekly total: $119.00

(My weekly goal is $140, but some weeks I spend a lot less and some weeks I spend a lot more. I operate on cash, so if I spend $98 one week, I'll have $42 leftover to add to the next week's budget. Although often the cash gets eaten in the form of Sonic Happy Hour drinks.)

It often seems that all of the groceries run really great sales on the same week, and that's when I spend more money.

This week, we had some friends over for a cookout on Saturday so I bought some extra things I usually never get, like 12 pk of Dr. Pepper. I set out a lot of veggie and fruits, but I think I should have bought more junk food (potato chips).

Cookout menu: hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hotdogs, fruit plate (strawberries, kiwis, and bananas), veggie plate (green pepper strips, baby carrots), homemade pico de gallo and chips, pretzels, pineapple upside down cake, lemonade, limeade, tea, and sodas.

I got:
11# bananas, 15# apples, 16 organic apples, 2.8# yellow squash, 2# green beans, 2# baby carrots, 1.5# red onion, 1 bunch green onions, 6 green bell peppers, 1 bunch cilantro, 3# strawberries, 6# tomatoes on the vine (for 99 cents a pound!), 3 giant oranges, 1.5# jalapenos
21# frozen veggies,

24 slices American cheese (with Triple the Calcium!), 3 gallons milk

9# ground beef, 6 pkgs. Bar S hotdogs, 1 rotisserie chicken

32 hamburger buns, 16 hot dog buns, 32 oz. tortilla chips, 2 bags Lender's bagels, 2 boxes R-friendly Ritz type crackers, 100 corn tortillas, 2 loaves WW bread, 2 bags pretzels

3 bottles of ketchup, 2 jars dill pickle chips, 1 jar pepperoncinis, 4# white rice, 4# dried pinto beans, 2 cans sliced pineapple

4 boxes cereal, 1 bottle sparkling Pelligrino water (I was thirsty!), 3-12 packs of sodas (friends came over Saturday), 3 cans juice concentrate, 21# ice, 24 pk bottled water


We're eating:
Sunday: Frosted mini wheats, milk
leftover hotdogs, carrots, green peppers, strawberries, kiwis
potato tacos w/ leftover hamburgers

Monday: oatmeal, kiwis
lentil sloppy joes, green pepper strips, apples
Macaroni and cheese w/ white beans and broccoli

Tuesday: bagels and cream cheese, apples
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fruit
Ham, mashed potatoes, yellow squash

Wednesday: oatmeal
lentil soup (made waaaayyy too much lentil sloppy joes!)
Scalloped potatoes (w/ ham), fresh green beans

Thursday: oatmeal
chickpea, rice, veggie one pot something or other. With curry powder!
taco bar (black beans, probably)

Friday: waffles (If I get around to making them!)
pasta w/ white beans and white sauce, or leftovers
hambone soup w/ black eyed peas and chard (from garden), cornbread

Saturday: oatmeal
leftover soup, or polenta (it was really good!), or both!
Not sure. I never know on Saturdays. Our plans are usually open; I often go to the store on Fri. or Sat.; things come up.

What do you do to entertain on a budget?

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 4/28/2009 01:32:00 PM | Permalink | |