Barbecue Sauce
Monday, May 21, 2007
With everything else going on, plus the doctors orders for me to avoid caffeine because of Baby X (ah, the joys of nursing...) I thought I'd post about what I did last week.

I made Barbecue Sauce! It sounds intimidating, but it was ridiculously easy.

Long time readers of my blog know that Mr. R is on a special diet - no artificial colors, preservatives, BHA/BHT/TBHQ, MSG, or artificial sweeteners. And so, making things like barbecue chicken legs, becomes quite a challenge! It is getting almost impossible to find anything that does not contain either Red #40 or Yellow #5 (despite the fact they are banned in Europe).

I used Hillbilly Housewife's recipe as an inspiration (I often am "inspired" by recipes, then make my own half-baked version with mixed results).

I think I'm gonna keep this one - my husband dear has a very good friend in Texas whose grandfather's BBQ sauce was so legendary that the town still talks about it. When he would make the sauce, word flew through the grapevine and people would start showing up at his door with jars and bottles. Now I know why- even my first attempt blows Kraft Hickory Flavor away!

My recipe:
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 c. water
1/8 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. worcestshire sauce
2 big squirts of Brown mustard
Onion powder
Garlic powder
3-4 drops liquid smoke
dash of salt

Mix everything in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes.

That's it!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 5/21/2007 08:05:00 AM | Permalink | |