More with the Baby Names
Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I just took a look at the list of Top 100 Baby Names for 2006.

Xavier is #83! What??? I thought I had traditional, yet unusual and uncommon names! Francis didn't make the list though.

Closer inspection revealed that ALL of my boys' names are on the top list. None of my girls' names are. Hmm... I think it has more to do with there are fewer boy names than girl names. There were several girl names that were very similar, but not exact matches. My girls have feminine, old fashioned names.

Also, I noticed that the list had "Alexander" and "Alex", "Samuel" and "Sam", "Benjamin" and "Ben", "William" and "Liam" listed seperately - I guess there really aren't that many boy names! Every man I know - father, brothers, husband, old boyfriends, even my kids' friends, were on that list - even though they may have been named in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Except for my grandfather (whose first name is my great grandmother's maiden name) and my brother in law (whose name has appeared on the girls side).

I've started a "Read the Bible in a Year" project, (yeah. I started a week late. Why do I do that to myself?) One thing I've noticed is that there are a LOT of names in Genesis. I wonder why some (Jared, Seth, Caleb) catch one, but others - (Enosh. Lamech. Ham. Shep. Japeth) don't. Saying them out loud, I think I just answered my own question.

Well, since he's #83, lets hope people don't have too much trouble spelling it!
 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 1/09/2007 10:10:00 AM | Permalink | |