Quite Possibly the Most Shallow Woman Alive
Thursday, January 04, 2007


This article was published in July, but I just came across it via the archives of Starry Sky Ranch.
I was moving in July, so if there was Bloggy furor over this post that I missed, well, I'm always a day late and a dollar short.

I had planned a blog post, but as I finished the article, words failed me.

Amazing, I know, but there are a few things that leave me speechless.

Well, maybe not entirely speechless :)

She claims that women need a lobotomy in order to have a conversation with a child under the age of 10. I think that her kids realized she could care less and don't bother to tell her important things. I think her kids know she has checked out, and they are such a burden, that they don't invest themselves in her. She has already lost their hearts.

Oh, and her assertion that if you feed, shelter and tell your kids (not show, just mention it once in a while) that they are loved, they'll be totally okay. Yeah, not even gonna touch that one. Perhaps her nanny is more invested in the children, and actually attempts character formation, emotional development, and kindness. I hope so.

What I really can't get over is the picture of this woman, on her deathbed, surrounded by her shoes... because her children couldn't be bothered with a boring old woman who is useless to them now anyway.

But then again, I don't find time with the kids mind numbingly boring. I'd rather have a housekeeper than a nanny. (Ahh.. I dream about the things we could accomplish if I had a good housekeeper and cook, and my only responsibility was to educate the children!) Sometimes life is routine; sometimes it is boring, sometimes I do want time alone to finish a project or a book. But to say my life is wasted? That I'm enslaved? I think not.

This anonymous comment sums up the article quite well:

Absolutely! Finally someone speaks the truth and acknowledges that our personal needs as modern empowered women far outranks our childrens' needs for the day to day drudgery of unselfish attention and care-giving. After all, they can get that anywhere--it is completely unrealistic to expect it from their mothers.
Why should the needs of mothers outrank the needs of their children? Oh, because the mothers are empowered women; the children are powerless. Is it unrealistic to expect mothers to, well, mother? Could the noun and verb possibly be connected?

This is the type of thinking that leads to this kind of speechlessness:


 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 1/04/2007 01:16:00 PM | Permalink | |