The R Word
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
I *mostly* stay out of the fray regarding Hollywood movies.

But I feel I must comment on Tropic Thunder, Ben Stiller's latest oeuvre rotten egg. The setup of the movie is that Ben Stiller's character played a "Rain Man" type character, but didn't get the Oscar he was hoping for. Fair enough - but the movie goes on and on and on with an offensive and stereotypical showing of the Simple Jack character. The movie doesn't limit itself to a satirical "movie within a movie" use of the word, either.

Mock movie poster:

Note the tagline. I hear that this poster has been pulled by Dreamworks marketing after the Special Olympics joined the protest.

You'll be seeing t-shirts, and hearing lines, and people will be cracking jokes, and you might want to know what it's all about. "Never Go Full On Retard" shirts are about making more money for Ben Stiller.

Here's the scene. Stiller's career mistake was portraying a "full on retard".



A partial transcript of the above scene:
Ben Stiller (who wrote these lines before filming them)-
There were times whne I was doing Jack, that I actually felt retarded, like really retarded. In a weird way I just had to free myself up to believe that it was okay to be stupid or dumb.

From Growing Up with a Disability.


H/T Barbara at Mommylife for the links.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 8/20/2008 07:59:00 AM | Permalink | |