Guess I Won't Be Converting
Thursday, February 01, 2007
to Mormonism any time soon - (to tell the truth, I think the missionaries gave up on me)

You are a 100% traditional Catholic!

Congratulations! You are more knowlegeable than most modern theologians! You have achieved mastery over the most important doctrines of the Catholic Faith! You should share your incredible understanding with others!

Do You Know Your Baltimore Catechism?
Make Your Own Quiz



H/T to SFO Mom


I had related previously on my conversations with the LDS missionaries involving the pro-life issue (they're not) and spiritual lettuce (don't ask).
I think they really gave up on me at the last meeting - they left a Book of Mormon, but didn't make another appointment to come back. The stumper?
I asked them why they needed Jesus Christ to save them from their sins.

The answer I got? "Well, you know."

Well, yes, I know what the Church founded by Christ teaches. I do not know what the church founded by Joseph Smith teaches.

Try as I might, I could not find the answer on any LDS website (mormon.org, lds.org, or the BYU site.) There are many references to "our Saviour, Jesus Christ" and "Jesus, who saved us from our sins". What I really want to know, is ...
what for? Mormons don't believe Christ is the only begotten Son of God. (Merely the firstborn). Judging from other topics we discussed, their view of sin is fundamentally different from the traditional Christian view. Salvation has a different meaning, sin has a different meaning... so what does it mean, for them, to say Christ died for their sins? What did that accomplish? Why was Christ's death required? What lasting change did it create?
I asked those questions (and no, I wasn't challenging, angry or combatitive. I am genuinely curious, because the answer to the question "Who do you say that I am?" is of eternal importance).

Dead silence.

Seriously, crickets should have been chirping.

Then, a quick encouragement to read the Book of Mormon and pray if it is true (why do I have to read it? Can't I just ask the Holy Spirit to give me a burning in the bosom without cracking the book? I mean, the Holy Spirit knows what's in there, right?)

Then they were out of there. Gone. Hmm... the nature of Christ, a touchy hands off subject? I wish there was some sort of LDS 'ask the apologist' program. Enquiring minds want to know.

If there are any LDS believers out there, please fill me in. I'd love to talk to you.

Tags: Catholic
 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 2/01/2007 09:57:00 AM | Permalink | |