WFMW: More Lentils
Wednesday, April 30, 2008


We're still cleaning out the pantry. Unfortunately, the freezer is pretty much empty, leaving us with bottom of the barrel healthy options for protein.

Previously, my lentil enchiladas were a hit - except for the baby.

Last night, I made lentil sloppy joes. I used bulgur instead of rice. Bulgur is easy to cook! Use 1 and a half times more water than grains, boil, let stand for 15 minutes. Just like rice, but with less water.

This is a great, fast dinner - perfect for days when you forgot to thaw the meat. Lentils are cheap and shelf stable. It's a great budget stretcher - a bag of lentils costs less than a dollar, and will make at least two meals for 9 people as a ground meat substitute. Bulgur cost 58 cents a pound (I think?) at EarthFare (bulk food section).

Cook one chopped onion until translucent. Add 1 can tomato sauce and 1 can tomato paste (ok, I used a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes. Whatever works for you.) Add some garlic powder, then lentils and bulgur (I used half a pound of lentils, cooked, and 1/2 c. bulgur cooked in 3/4 c. water). Salt, pepper, etc. and serve it up on buns!

We also had carrot salad, as I have 10 pounds of carrots in the fridge and not much else. I just made up a recipe of shredded carrots, salt, balsamic vinegar, and one scoop of sour cream (use what you have!). The kids liked it!

Pantry cooking on the fly - works for me! For more Works for Me Wednesdays, check out Rocks in My Dryer.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Milehimama @ Mama Says at 4/30/2008 10:43:00 AM | Permalink | |